Perry’s experience in Indian Country dates back 20 years.
Perry was Executive Director of the Earthstar Project, Inc. a Native American Nonprofit Organization to providing housing for Elders with supportive services. He secured $3.5 Million in funding and developed the Elders Lodge in St. Paul (3-story, 43 Apartments HUD Section 202 of Elderly Housing) for urban, low-income, American Indian Elders. I am presently supervising renovations to the Elders Lodge.
Perry’s Community Service in Indian Country
- American Indian Housing Task Force (St. Paul MN): Participated with HUD, MHFA & American Indian Policy & Research to define housing needs of St. Paul Indian families (to address homelessness).
- American Indians in Unity (St. Paul MN): Served on a Housing Task Force with Indian Community Members and helped to plan and build American Indian Housing in St. Paul.
- American Indian Family Center (St. Paul, MN): Served on the Board of Directors
- Served on the Owner’s Representative Management Team for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe for Master Planning and Multi-phased Construction of the $26.5 Million Northern Lights Casino and Resort Hotel & Event / Conference Center (Walker, MN).
Served as a Member of the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Corporate Commission for Economic Development (Cass Lake, MN).
- Participated in American Indian Housing Conferences sponsored by HUD and State Housing Finance Agencies in Minnesota and Wisconsin and Inter Tribal Economic Development Conferences in Northern Minnesota
- Received a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Building Innovation in Home Ownership Award for Design of 5 homes, including one ADA accessible home, for Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity / Minnesota Indian Women’s Resource Center (MIWRC) Partnership, Minneapolis.
Perry provided Design Services for:
- Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Ojibwe Reservation (Hayward, WI): Feasibility Study for: 1) Renovation of and Addition for Administration Building, Judicial Center and Headstart Childcare Program 2) Funeral Home Design for a private funeral operator.
- Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Reservation (Cloquet, MN): Design of an A-Frame Residence for a private home owner.
- Black Bear Crossings Community Center – Coffee House & Gift Shop, St. Paul, MN (original location for Owner David Glass).
- American Indian Family Community Center & Clinic (St. Paul, MN): Elevator Accessibility Addition.
- Peta Wakan Tipi’s Mother Earth Lodge (St. Paul, MN): Provided design for remodeling of Indian Women’s Transitional Housing.