Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity
HREEO champions Justice and Equity by confronting issues of discrimination and providing innovative avenues for accessibility and economic opportunities for all residents and businesses.
HREEO achieves these goals by consistently delivering quality customer service, being a voice and advocate within the city and metro area, building relationships throughout the community, and enforcing laws.
We welcome you to join our efforts.
The Department of Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity (HREEO) is composed of several divisions that perform a diverse array of functions.
- Contract Compliance and Business Development
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Academy
- Human Rights
- Procurement (Contract & Analysis Services)
- River Print
The Human Rights Division of the Department of Human Rights and Equal Economic Opportunity (HREEO) is responsible for investigating complaints of discrimination that have taken place within the City of Saint Paul.
Note: The Human Rights Division is a neutral, fact-finding agency and does not represent either party in its investigations.
* However, please note that as a matter of practice, to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest, we do not investigate charges of discrimination filed against another department of the City.
The City of Saint Paul Code of Ordinance – Chapter 183empowers the Human Rights Division to investigate human rights complaints on the basis of:
- Marital Status
- Familial Status
- Sexual or Affectional Orientation
- National Origin
- Status with regard to Public Assistance